The preservice teachers participating in the USA 100 Black Men Summer Enrichment Program are an outstanding group of students at the USA College of Education. This blog is a safe environment designed for journaling reflections, sharing ideas, and communicating challenges and successes during the program.
Search This Blog
Friday, June 24, 2011
Professional Development Seminar 2
Please reflect on the professional developmemt seminar held on June 24, 2011.
What are the main points that you will take away from the book?
What did you learn from the principals that you did not know? What will you do differently?
The second professional development seminar was great because it gave us an opportunity for guided reflection in a whole group setting. It was interesting to hear others' experiences and compare them to my own. It seems like we are all learning similar lessons, appreciating similar successes, and struggling with similar challenges.
The book was GREAT. For additional reading of the same nature, I would also recommend Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire by Rafe Esquith, The Essential 55 by Ron Clark, and Holler if You Hear Me by Greg Mitchie. They helped me frame a lot of the experiences that the TFD students discussed in Ladson-Billings book. The three qualities I hope to nurture most after reading the book are: want to, persistence, and reflective practice.
I want to continue seeking ways to grow as an educator and connect with students in all arenas. I will prove my "want to" by investing in my students, looking for ways to get involved at school beyond my classroom, and looking for opportunities to blend my classroom with the community. I will stay persistent by creating routines and setting expectations for my students that will not waiver. I will take responsibility for my students learning by constantly finding new ways to present information and building academic confidence and self-esteem in each of my students. I think this also goes along with reflective practice. I will use my professional network to reflect on my days and trends to improve my teaching technique.
The second P.D. seminar really put a focus on staying professional. I learned from the book and the principals that being professional means more than dressing appropriately and being prepared. It means taking responsibility for the work that you do. Our work as teachers is to help our students achieve. If we don't, than the consequences are as much ours as theirs.
The second professional development seminar taught me a lot about what type of teacher I want to become. I learned a lot from the principals and the book. Each thing that I learned will help make me a better, more successful teacher to my students.
The book was interesting to read. The books basically talked about the teacher education programs that prepare teachers today, the cohort members and their experiences in teaching, and what it means to teach today. I learned that it is very important to get to know my students, even if that means taking extra time outside of school. I really liked how the cohort members made a point to get to know their students. One member took some students to McDonalds to have discussions. Another member made house visits. As a teacher, you have to know which lines not to cross, but taking time out of your life to really get to know students is very important in establishing trust. I also learned that although some students may struggle academically, it is the teacher’s responsibility to tap into that student’s interests and figure out a way to help him/her succeed. One teacher helped a student by allowing them to have two sets of text books, one for home and one for school. Another teacher tapped into a student’s musical interest, while another teacher chose acting for her students. This book talks a lot about how to go beyond the standard way of teaching in order to teach students. The book also gave insight on what teachers have to do, in order to become certified. I really liked how the book stressed cultural relevance and reflection. In order for a teacher to become culturally aware of his/ her students, one must also be aware of his/her own culture. Also, teachers need to reflect continuously to learn from their mistakes and improve. The book was a helpful resource for not only teaching in inner-city schools, but it also was helpful for teaching in general.
I really enjoyed hearing the principals’ history of teaching and their backgrounds in teaching. Talking with the two principals was the most helpful and most exciting part of the seminar. Both principals gave helpful insight on what principals look for in a teacher. Professionalism is essential for a teacher. I also enjoyed being able to hear what specifically principals expect out of teachers, such as classroom management, training, and organization. I also liked to hear their thoughts on the struggles and challenges first year teachers encounter. After talking with the principals, I will make extra time to perfect my classroom management skills, attend as many training seminars as I am allowed, and just reflect on my teaching experiences. I loved the one principal’s philosophy on how children are our customers in education; without students, teachers would not have jobs. I feel more confident in interviewing and teaching, after having the privilege of talking to the principals.
I enjoyed parts of the book, but I do not feel like I learned as much from it as other books I have read. It was a book that gave me some ideas and it ensured me that I am not the only person having certain thoughts going through my head, but I did not learn how to better deal with different things. The most memorable part of the book was when the teacher went a root I think of as unconventional. She gave a student a second set of books so he could study without the knowledge of his friends. I never would have thought of this, but if it gets the student to do his work and to do well, then why not do it and maybe over time he will be able to use his popularity to encourage other students to study as well. From this, I have learned that I may need to step out of my comfort zone if it means that by my doing that I get a student to become a better student. I hope that I will be able to do this when a student needs me to. This book also reminded me of the importance of morning work. I wish I would have thought maybe that is why my students are having an issue with transitions every day. This week I am going to try to implement some form of work that students do when they enter my room to see if maybe I can learn how to better manage my students at the beginning of class. There is another book that I have read that I enjoyed more than Crossing Over to Canaan. The Color Code: A New Way to See Yourself, Your Relationships, and Life, is a book that helped me identify peoples’ different personality types and then helped me learn how to deal with those people and why they tick the way they do. This book would be a wonderful book for another book study. It is one that is even good for young adults to read, my nieces and nephews have read it and it has helped them improve themselves. It was nice hearing from the principals. It was great to hear more about being professional. I usually think of being professional as dressing well and not acting crazy, but there is so much more to it. I want to find more books to read, find seminars to attend, and ways to improve myself. I did not necessarily know that when looking for a job that principals looked for these things. I was under the impression that it is something that was for my own personal benefit. I am glad to know that principals are interested in ways that I improve myself and my teaching.
I really enjoyed this seminar. It made me feel like I am not alone in my fears as a new teacher. I loved the fact that this seminar gave us the chance to reflect on what we have done this summer and in our educational experiences. The book really reminded me of the importance of educating and not schooling my students. I have learned through this book and my experience this summer that relationships are key in the success of your students. As long as you care it will show and your students will know that they can trust you. It will give them the drive to want to do well in school. The book also reminded me, that our college education can never prepare us for what lies ahead. We can only be prepared with experience and that takes time. As long as I go into this field with my heart and mind open, I know I will make an impact.
I felt privileged to be able to speak to the principal who came. I learned some great lessons about maintaining my professional demeanor and on how to have successful classroom management. They also gave me great insight on what a principal is looking for in a new teacher. I really appreciated this seminar. I wish that we could have these types of meetings during our student teaching experience.
I enjoyed the book and reading different experiences that teachers have had working in low income schools. The book is a great reminder that a person's education does not her a great and influential teacher, but it's her heart and her dedication to her students. I loved being able to share and hear different experiences that other pre-service teachers have encountered this summer. We do not have a lot of opportunities to get together and talk about what is going on with our classes and it was great that we had that opportunity. It was interesting to hear that some of the issues or questions that some teachers had others had as well.
I am very grateful that the principals took time out of their day to come talk to us. I am nervous about student teaching and applying for a job in the spring, but I feel a little more prepared for an interview after talking with them. I now know some of the things that are important to principals and it was good to hear from a principal what makes a good teacher. A lot of questions that I had about entering the school system were answered.
I like this book because it followed several different teachers in the TFD program. It showed me how other teachers have the same fears especially when they first start out. Also, I really appreciated that the principals took the time to come talk to us. I learned more about what they are looking for during the interview process.
This professional development was great. I loved the book that we read, and I liked that I had previous knowledge on educating African Americans in my EDM class a few semesters ago. I liked discussing it with my peers.
I liked having principals there and getting an insight into their world. I wish we could have each met them or given them a resume though.
Overall, this professional development was very helpful and I gained knowledge into the teaching profession.
While the book was interesting, I don't feel like it really shed any light on teaching diverse groups of students. I did enjoy reading about each of the preservice teachers and their backgrounds. I found that most of what the book frowned upon about teacher education programs is common practice at the University of South Alabama. While many of the components of the TFD program chronicled in the book would be ideal, I feel that the education I have received has prepared me for my teaching career as best as anyone can expect. In my opinion, nothing prepares you more than being in the classroom with students. That is where I have truly learned the most! I think most would agree. I enjoyed discussing my experiences with the other preservice teachers and hearing from each of them as well. It is aways nice to see how others handle certain situations and introduce new concepts. I can't think of a better resource! Having the local principals there to talk to was a wonderful addition to the professional development seminar. They offered great insight on what they are looking for in new hires and also how to prepare for that first year.
The book was interesting to read and I felt that I could relate to the teachers in the book. I wish we could have read it previous to our teaching experience at Brazier though. I enjoyed the round table type discussion I had with my peers and mentors.
The principals were very helpful. I wish I would have known in advance that they were coming so I could have had more question prepared to ask them. One thing I did not know was that principals shared with us is that they will ask a lot of curriculum questions during a new teacher interview.
The second professional development seminar was great because it gave us an opportunity for guided reflection in a whole group setting. It was interesting to hear others' experiences and compare them to my own. It seems like we are all learning similar lessons, appreciating similar successes, and struggling with similar challenges.
ReplyDeleteThe book was GREAT. For additional reading of the same nature, I would also recommend Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire by Rafe Esquith, The Essential 55 by Ron Clark, and Holler if You Hear Me by Greg Mitchie. They helped me frame a lot of the experiences that the TFD students discussed in Ladson-Billings book. The three qualities I hope to nurture most after reading the book are: want to, persistence, and reflective practice.
I want to continue seeking ways to grow as an educator and connect with students in all arenas. I will prove my "want to" by investing in my students, looking for ways to get involved at school beyond my classroom, and looking for opportunities to blend my classroom with the community. I will stay persistent by creating routines and setting expectations for my students that will not waiver. I will take responsibility for my students learning by constantly finding new ways to present information and building academic confidence and self-esteem in each of my students. I think this also goes along with reflective practice. I will use my professional network to reflect on my days and trends to improve my teaching technique.
The second P.D. seminar really put a focus on staying professional. I learned from the book and the principals that being professional means more than dressing appropriately and being prepared. It means taking responsibility for the work that you do. Our work as teachers is to help our students achieve. If we don't, than the consequences are as much ours as theirs.
The second professional development seminar taught me a lot about what type of teacher I want to become. I learned a lot from the principals and the book. Each thing that I learned will help make me a better, more successful teacher to my students.
ReplyDeleteThe book was interesting to read. The books basically talked about the teacher education programs that prepare teachers today, the cohort members and their experiences in teaching, and what it means to teach today. I learned that it is very important to get to know my students, even if that means taking extra time outside of school. I really liked how the cohort members made a point to get to know their students. One member took some students to McDonalds to have discussions. Another member made house visits. As a teacher, you have to know which lines not to cross, but taking time out of your life to really get to know students is very important in establishing trust. I also learned that although some students may struggle academically, it is the teacher’s responsibility to tap into that student’s interests and figure out a way to help him/her succeed. One teacher helped a student by allowing them to have two sets of text books, one for home and one for school. Another teacher tapped into a student’s musical interest, while another teacher chose acting for her students. This book talks a lot about how to go beyond the standard way of teaching in order to teach students. The book also gave insight on what teachers have to do, in order to become certified. I really liked how the book stressed cultural relevance and reflection. In order for a teacher to become culturally aware of his/ her students, one must also be aware of his/her own culture. Also, teachers need to reflect continuously to learn from their mistakes and improve. The book was a helpful resource for not only teaching in inner-city schools, but it also was helpful for teaching in general.
I really enjoyed hearing the principals’ history of teaching and their backgrounds in teaching. Talking with the two principals was the most helpful and most exciting part of the seminar. Both principals gave helpful insight on what principals look for in a teacher. Professionalism is essential for a teacher. I also enjoyed being able to hear what specifically principals expect out of teachers, such as classroom management, training, and organization. I also liked to hear their thoughts on the struggles and challenges first year teachers encounter. After talking with the principals, I will make extra time to perfect my classroom management skills, attend as many training seminars as I am allowed, and just reflect on my teaching experiences. I loved the one principal’s philosophy on how children are our customers in education; without students, teachers would not have jobs. I feel more confident in interviewing and teaching, after having the privilege of talking to the principals.
I enjoyed parts of the book, but I do not feel like I learned as much from it as other books I have read. It was a book that gave me some ideas and it ensured me that I am not the only person having certain thoughts going through my head, but I did not learn how to better deal with different things. The most memorable part of the book was when the teacher went a root I think of as unconventional. She gave a student a second set of books so he could study without the knowledge of his friends. I never would have thought of this, but if it gets the student to do his work and to do well, then why not do it and maybe over time he will be able to use his popularity to encourage other students to study as well. From this, I have learned that I may need to step out of my comfort zone if it means that by my doing that I get a student to become a better student. I hope that I will be able to do this when a student needs me to. This book also reminded me of the importance of morning work. I wish I would have thought maybe that is why my students are having an issue with transitions every day. This week I am going to try to implement some form of work that students do when they enter my room to see if maybe I can learn how to better manage my students at the beginning of class.
ReplyDeleteThere is another book that I have read that I enjoyed more than Crossing Over to Canaan. The Color Code: A New Way to See Yourself, Your Relationships, and Life, is a book that helped me identify peoples’ different personality types and then helped me learn how to deal with those people and why they tick the way they do. This book would be a wonderful book for another book study. It is one that is even good for young adults to read, my nieces and nephews have read it and it has helped them improve themselves.
It was nice hearing from the principals. It was great to hear more about being professional. I usually think of being professional as dressing well and not acting crazy, but there is so much more to it. I want to find more books to read, find seminars to attend, and ways to improve myself. I did not necessarily know that when looking for a job that principals looked for these things. I was under the impression that it is something that was for my own personal benefit. I am glad to know that principals are interested in ways that I improve myself and my teaching.
I really enjoyed this seminar. It made me feel like I am not alone in my fears as a new teacher. I loved the fact that this seminar gave us the chance to reflect on what we have done this summer and in our educational experiences.
ReplyDeleteThe book really reminded me of the importance of educating and not schooling my students. I have learned through this book and my experience this summer that relationships are key in the success of your students. As long as you care it will show and your students will know that they can trust you. It will give them the drive to want to do well in school. The book also reminded me, that our college education can never prepare us for what lies ahead. We can only be prepared with experience and that takes time. As long as I go into this field with my heart and mind open, I know I will make an impact.
I felt privileged to be able to speak to the principal who came. I learned some great lessons about maintaining my professional demeanor and on how to have successful classroom management. They also gave me great insight on what a principal is looking for in a new teacher. I really appreciated this seminar. I wish that we could have these types of meetings during our student teaching experience.
I enjoyed the book and reading different experiences that teachers have had working in low income schools. The book is a great reminder that a person's education does not her a great and influential teacher, but it's her heart and her dedication to her students. I loved being able to share and hear different experiences that other pre-service teachers have encountered this summer. We do not have a lot of opportunities to get together and talk about what is going on with our classes and it was great that we had that opportunity. It was interesting to hear that some of the issues or questions that some teachers had others had as well.
ReplyDeleteI am very grateful that the principals took time out of their day to come talk to us. I am nervous about student teaching and applying for a job in the spring, but I feel a little more prepared for an interview after talking with them. I now know some of the things that are important to principals and it was good to hear from a principal what makes a good teacher. A lot of questions that I had about entering the school system were answered.
I like this book because it followed several different teachers in the TFD program. It showed me how other teachers have the same fears especially when they first start out.
ReplyDeleteAlso, I really appreciated that the principals took the time to come talk to us. I learned more about what they are looking for during the interview process.
This professional development was great. I loved the book that we read, and I liked that I had previous knowledge on educating African Americans in my EDM class a few semesters ago. I liked discussing it with my peers.
ReplyDeleteI liked having principals there and getting an insight into their world. I wish we could have each met them or given them a resume though.
Overall, this professional development was very helpful and I gained knowledge into the teaching profession.
While the book was interesting, I don't feel like it really shed any light on teaching diverse groups of students. I did enjoy reading about each of the preservice teachers and their backgrounds. I found that most of what the book frowned upon about teacher education programs is common practice at the University of South Alabama. While many of the components of the TFD program chronicled in the book would be ideal, I feel that the education I have received has prepared me for my teaching career as best as anyone can expect. In my opinion, nothing prepares you more than being in the classroom with students. That is where I have truly learned the most! I think most would agree.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed discussing my experiences with the other preservice teachers and hearing from each of them as well. It is aways nice to see how others handle certain situations and introduce new concepts. I can't think of a better resource!
Having the local principals there to talk to was a wonderful addition to the professional development seminar. They offered great insight on what they are looking for in new hires and also how to prepare for that first year.
The book was interesting to read and I felt that I could relate to the teachers in the book. I wish we could have read it previous to our teaching experience at Brazier though. I enjoyed the round table type discussion I had with my peers and mentors.
ReplyDeleteThe principals were very helpful. I wish I would have known in advance that they were coming so I could have had more question prepared to ask them. One thing I did not know was that principals shared with us is that they will ask a lot of curriculum questions during a new teacher interview.