The preservice teachers participating in the USA 100 Black Men Summer Enrichment Program are an outstanding group of students at the USA College of Education. This blog is a safe environment designed for journaling reflections, sharing ideas, and communicating challenges and successes during the program.
Search This Blog
Monday, June 13, 2011
Week Two Post One
During Week Two, post your reflection here. Make sure to note challenges, successes, lessons learned, and preparation in USA classes and/or for Summer Enrichment. All comments are encouraged.
Labels:
Week Two Post One
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After taking the tour on Friday, my mind was a scrambled mess, but my motivation was on overdrive. I hate to keep coming back to my astonishment by the contrast between these kids abilities to express hardness and vulnerability. From the beginning of this program, I my underlying goal has been to teach these kids the value of positivity, trust in others, and self-respect.
ReplyDeleteAfter speaking to Mr. Michael, a community development planner, about the challenges my kids' families face (no grocery stores, limited travel means, lack of employment opportunities, limited financial planning exposure, etc.) I felt that my purpose for being there had shifted from a, "let's help these kids love themselves" to "let's get these kids to learn so that they can get out, find success, and come back". I sat with this desperate feeling for three days as my weekend passed.
Finally, Monday came. I saw my students faces again, and realized that as different as their living experiences are from my own, they all seem to be loved, fed, and happy. I realized that I needed to refocus and find that middle ground. I want to help them love themselves-- AND help them realize that school is a place to find confidence and achieve through academics.
Forgive me for my scattered thoughts-- it is a Monday night after-all. Let the good times roll this week!
Anthony
This week has been very successful so far. As I mentioned last post, I had my most challenging discipline moment last Thursday, and I was very eager to see the same class on Monday. When the class came in my room, they made me smile because I knew that we were all on the same page. I was so relieved because I was stressing about the fact that I had not connected with that particular class. Monday proved to me that I did connect with that class; they all had a level of respect for one another and me that was once missing. The class went by successfully and smoothly. Although I know I will still have challenging moments with any class , since last Thursday, I have been more confident in my disciplining procedures/rules. I am a pushover when it comes to disciplining students, and I know this about myself. I think I am being too stern, when in reality, I am not being stern enough. I know now why you must start off strong and then ease up on discipline. I am quickly learning that students need and want discipline. All students will test you, but as long as you put your foot down the first time a student tests you, all students will know your boundaries. Last Thursday was a big lesson learned for me in the area of disciplining.
ReplyDeleteAgain, I have really enjoyed this week. All of my classes are going well. Each class is staying on task and having a good time in reading, from what the students tell me. I am still learning about each class and its students. One of my favorite parts of the day is lunch because that is the time when my students really talk to me. I learn more from my students in my lunch group than I do any other group of students. I am learning that these kids are no different than any other group of kids. Although they may be categorized as "inner city" kids, they are the same as any other group of children. I understand that they may face certain challenges in their home lives. I understand that they may go through harder times than other kids, but as far as teaching these kids, it is the same as any other child. Children should not be categorized, in my opinion, because that's when other people judge them based on stereotypes. Every child is different and learns differently. Each child will have his/her own struggles in and out of school. Each child must be viewed individually, and each teacher must meet the needs and interests of each child. Teaching children is like the team building activity we participated in the first week of work (trying to get large/small objects to end of line). We (teachers) need to make adjustments based on each student, in order for every student to make it successfully to the end. Just because a group of students may be categorized as something does not mean the expectations are any different. I tell my students daily that my expectations for all of them are set high and are the same. I am growing attached to my classes just as I did my previous class in my field placement. I really do enjoy spending my day surrounded by students, especially students who are willing to learn and put in effort. Even the kids who may not seem interested are interested; those kids just need extra guidance and patience.
I have not faced any real challenges this week. I am enjoying the activities I have planned with each class. The only challenge I would even consider that I have had this week is the lack of time. With the field trip being all day on Thursday, I feel like I do not have enough time to do everything I would like to do. That has been one of the hardest parts of teaching so far; I always have a list of things I would like to do/teach, but I know that there is not enough time for every idea, so I have to pick and choose. I wish I could do everything, but that is not the reality of teaching. Time management is a skill I am perfecting each class.
Week 2 has gone so smoothly so far. I got to plan a lot in advance this past weekend and since I had a clear plan for this week I felt more at ease and more confident. I have kept my promise to myself about enforcing my classroom rules better with each class I teach. That one class I mentioned in an earlier post is still challenging but I have realized that they have to be approached completely different than my other three classes. Today when they came in the room I had posted on the board the things they had to accomplish to get to the fun activity I had planned for the end of class, decimal basketball. As we accomplished things as a class I checked the items off the list. Unfortunately we ran out of time and did not get to play. The victory for me was still there though because with them visually seeing that in fact they were accomplishing tasks was good for them. That is something I will do with that class especially.
ReplyDeleteI feel my USA classes have taught me a lot, but honestly in the classroom we can discuss scenarios all day long and it will never be like the real thing. Being in the classroom and being the only actual teacher has taught me a whole heck a lot in only a week and half. Experiences I believe make me better along with instruction.
I love my homeroom class. I am so glad that I get them for the field trip... I sure hope they are not just in sleeping mode in my class and then when they go through the day they become crazy children who I cannot control. This week, we are going to be building roller coasters where we test how mass and momentum coinside.
ReplyDeleteIt was so interesting getting a tour and learning more about the community on Friday. I thought it was great to learn about how things work in the different areas. I think about halfway through the bus trip my stomach began to over ride my brain and my ADD was kicking hard core where just sitting in my seat was about to make me jump through the window. I think I need to start keeping snack food in my purse so that I can get more out of Fridays... I want to learn more besides how my tummy makes noises and makes me antsy when it talks to me... I cannot wait to finish up the coasters to see how creative my students can get.
The great potential that could be dormant in our program students is continuously blooming EVERYDAY! I feel more than fortunate to be a part of such a dynamic program, a SUPER staff, and such wonderful, smiling faces of our future! My excitement is constantly growing, and I am looking forward to a new teaching and learning experience DAILY!
ReplyDeleteToday was field trip day! I think I was more excited than my students. The movie we saw was great. After the movies, we went to the park. Besides the heat, I really enjoyed playing and interacting with my students at the park today. I had 5th grade boys and I thought they were going to be full of energy! We started off at the basketball station, then moved on to the fun noodles, then to flag tag, and by the time we moved to the last activity which was jump rope (the only activity that the boys did not have to teach me how to play..lol) they complained that they were too tired to play anymore. My theory is they thought jump roping was too girly! But overall, we had an awesome day!
ReplyDeleteHaha, Erica, I love your comment. I am glad I am not the only one to be so anxious about having all the boys. I was so pleasantly surprised. I ended up having a BLAST (and I promise it wasn't merely because I got to run around and hit them with fun noodles, lol).
ReplyDeleteAlso, Erin, I LOVE your checklist idea. I think I might snag that for my last week-- or at least my own future classroom. I imagine it helps keep you on task as well!
Btw, who is WTJ1001?
This week definitely had its share of challenges. First, I use tickets to reward good behavior. On Monday we went to lunch and returned to the classroom to find my tickets missing. I thought that I lost them in the classroom somewhere, but I looked everywhere! I suspected that someone from my last class put them in there bag or lunchbox, but I asked them to open them up for me and nothing! So that was frustrating, now I have to make some more.
ReplyDeleteOn Tuesday, Ricky Trione came and talked to the students about being blind and how they need to 'choose their battles.' Then they got to do a crayon rubbing and finger paint their very own fish painting! What a great experience!
I feel that my USA classes have prepared me with the know-how, but experience is the only thing that is making me a better teacher. At USA, I learned how to write lesson plans, make crafts, and arrange a classroom. At the Summer Enrichment Program I have learned (and am still learning) how to manage time, manage behavior, what is acceptable and what is not, and how to teach in a fun and exciting way! This is the best teaching experience of my life so far. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.
Week two of reading was spent on story elements and sequence of events. We made story stew, fractured fairy-tales, and oobleck. Overall, the week was wonderful. The students seemed to enjoy all the hands-on activities and I felt like they really grasped the concepts I was teaching (especially Wednesday’s activity of goo-making.) I had a lessons learned moment and learned that that sort of activity needs to be done outside, since my classroom looked as if had snowed on EVERYTHING when the second class was over! The students had a blast and I loved getting to see them having so much fun learning though.
ReplyDeleteI had an experience with an angry parent this week. That was an experience to say the least. I’m thankful that Mrs. Jackson and Mr. Lewis intervened; however, I still went home Monday afternoon pretty shaken up and really discouraged. It was a challenge to just smile when she was accusing me of something that didn’t happen. Looking back, I can say I’m better prepared to handle something like that in the future.
I find myself constantly thinking about what I’m going to do the next day, next lesson. Right now I’m thinking about how I’m going to teach main idea and supporting detail. I’m also finding myself getting faster and better at planning and knowing what I want to do and when I would like to do it. I feel myself becoming a stronger teacher each day and I’m ready to take on this coming week :)
The first field trip- what an experience! I was so excited all week to be going on this field trip with my students. I constantly reminded them of what kind of behavior would be expected. When field trip day came I was pleasently surprised that they were all so well behaved. Yes, they were a little rambunctious but who isn't on field trip day. The movie was so cute and I really enjoyed watching it. The emotions felt through the students laughing and ohhing and ahhing throughout the movie was tremendous. The second part of the field trip I wasn't so sure about. I knew it was going to be hot and I was certain the kids would whine. Not the fourth grade boys. They got out there and played as hard as they could. I even joined them. I was actually sore Friday from running and hula-hooping! I have to give props to Mrs. Husong and her group of helpers, they day went so well and it was their preparation and hard work that made it possible!
ReplyDeleteThis week was great. I learned that I can manage a class all by myself! I loved being in the third grade science class and getting to work with the third grade staff. They were all so welcoming and helpful. I also learned that being flexible is a good thing. It has given me more confidence and is helping me grow as an educator.
ReplyDeleteFriday's Professional Development was wonderful! The questions that the counselor asked us really made us think about real issues that we are going to have to deal with in our classrooms. We have touched on some of the issues in different classes at South but I found it very beneficial to actually discuss the issues and what to do. I also really enjoyed the bus driving us to see the different schools that our students attend. The students talk about where they go to school but never seeing the school made it difficult for me to have any sort of connection. Know when the students tell me the school that they attend I can picture the school and I am more focused and connected to what they are telling me.
ReplyDeleteAt the beginning of the summer I really doubted myself and my abilities in the classroom, but I am gaining more and more confidence each and everyday. I love my job! I am seeing students who are struggling progress everyday.
The first day I had the students group rocks any way they wanted too. The catch was that the group had to agree on how they wanted to sort their rocks. After they sorted their rocks they got to explain to the class how they chose to group the rocks. It was very interesting to what they chose. Some groups chose to sort their rocks by color, size, texture, and so on. Each class got to pick their favorite characteristic of rocks, and make a Venn diagram with hula hoops. During the week we focused on graphing our data about the characteristics of rocks.
ReplyDeleteMonday proved to be a tough day. After staying late to check folders, I realized that many of the students hadn't completed the daily bell ringer that I post on the board. This was disappointing and led to a stern lecture on Tuesday. The students must have taken me seriously because Wednesday was an entirely new day and the students came in quietly and began their work. I explained to the students that this was not meant to be busy work and that I use their responses to assess my teaching and make changes where they are needed.
ReplyDelete